We are pleased to make this series of medical training videos available through collaboration with the Ultra Medical Team. This approximately 3-hour on-line program developed out of numerous live educational sessions that Nick and Marty provided as part of their work with the Ultra Medical Team. While the material is geared towards medical providers at ultramarathons, much of the information is pertinent to other endurance events, and should also be of interest to race directors, coaches and educated athletes.
The training is available at a small charge through a partnership with Base Medical by clicking here: ACCESS COURSE
Proceeds from the small charge for the course will be split among the Ultra Sports Science Foundation and the Ultra Medical Team, both non-profit organizations with 501(c)(3) status offering possible tax benefits, and Base Medical. If you wish to provide an additional donation to the Ultra Sports Science Foundation and the Ultra Medical Team, you can click here: Donate here
Please note that the program was initially prepared in early 2016, and is based upon information that was available at that time. We have performed some minor updates, and if the interest in these training videos is high, we will periodically update and expand on the information provided here.
We hope you enjoy and benefit from the training. Feel free to let us know what you think about it by emailing Dr. Marty Hoffman at email@example.com.
About the Presenters
Nick has been a paramedic for many years working on building equitable and sustainable emergency care systems in rural and remote areas. Although he is not a particularly gifted athlete, that has not stopped him from attempting a number of challenging mountainous 50 and 100 mile races in addition to single and multi-day solo fastpack efforts. Through the Ultra Medical Team, he has directed medical operations for more than 50 races (from trail marathons to 200 mile trail races) in North America and has led a team of more than 100 dedicated volunteers.
Marty Hoffman, MD, FACSM
Marty is among the relatively small group of individuals who have sustained ultramarathon running for over 30 years. He has had modest success as a runner with the occasional victory, including winning the Grand Master division at the 2008 USATF National 100 Mile Trail Championship. For a decade, he focused on cross-country ski racing, and was a multiple time top-200 (“Elite Wave”) finisher at the American Birkebeiner. But, he derives greater personal satisfaction from generating new knowledge that may benefit others, particularly those who enjoy exploring their limits. In this regard, he has published over 150 original scientific papers, and is frequently invited to share this information around the world.
Topics Covered in the Training
- Welcome and Introductions (5:40) – Nick Nudell and Marty Hoffman
- Overview of the UMT Training (29:05) – Nick Nudell
- Rational for Medical Coverage and Additional Resources (6:32) – Marty Hoffman
- The Main Medical Issues During Ultramarathons (7:01) – Marty Hoffman
- Potentially Life Threatening Medical Issues (6:40) – Marty Hoffman
- Major Trauma, Acute Coronary Syndrome, Thermal Injuries and Hypoglycemia (15:55) – Nick Nudell
- Exercise-Associated Collapse (5:40) – Marty Hoffman
- Exercise-Associated Hyponatremia: Incidence, Pathophysiology and Diagnosis (23:06) – Marty Hoffman
- Exercise-Associated Hyponatremia: Treatment (7:43) – Marty Hoffman
- Exercise-Associated Hyponatremia: Prevention (16:18) – Marty Hoffman
- Altitude Illness, Envenomation, Anaphylaxis and Bronchospasm (6:35) – Marty Hoffman
- Common and Generally Not Serious Medical Issues: Musculoskeletal Issues and Cramping (5:57) – Marty Hoffman
- Common and Generally Not Serious Medical Issues: Wounds (5:14) – Nick Nudell
- Common and Generally Not Serious Medical Issues: Blisters (26:58) – Marty Hoffman and Nick Nudell
- Common and Generally Not Serious Medical Issues: GI and Eye Issues (6:58) – Marty Hoffman
- Post-Race Concerns (14:12) – Marty Hoffman
- All In Good Fun (4:59) – Nick Nudell